How to Lock Your Laptop or PC Using Pen Drive?
Do you often get in situations where people demand for your laptop and often access your personal information and private data. Well, then after reading this tutorial it would no longer remain a problem. You can easily hand over the laptop to your friend but he would be handicapped as the laptop would be locked not with a code but with a pen drive which will act as the key to this lock.
Windows store its password in a file which is used during the startup. We’re gonna play with this file and lock the laptop with a pen drive.
Steps to Lock PC/Laptop with Pen Drive
- Please make sure your pen drive is already connected to the computer before following the below steps.
- Go to Run.
- Type “Syskey” in the run and press enter.
- Check the ‘Encryption Enabled’ option and click on Update.
- The pop up box gives two options :
Password Startup: This is if you require to setup a password to access computer during the system startup.
System Generated Password: It is the option which would help us lock the computer using a pen drive.
- Check “Store Startup Key on Floppy Disk” .
- Now, enter the password you wish to.
- Click on OK.
- Save the startup file in the pen drive ie. choose the location of pen drive.
Next time, you would need this pen drive to login to your laptop/PC.
This is a quite good trick for those not able to say “NO” to their friends for the laptops and PCs. It is also useful if you want to limit your children from using PC for long hours. Just setup the password and no one would be able to judge that Pen Drive is the key to the lock.
Author Bio: Karan Lugani is a 16 year old Teen Author of Syncers, a multi niche blog with wide ranging topics from Tech to Tips , Gadgets to Tricks and much more. Enjoy his list of Top 100 Cloud Computing Companies . He also writes on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 .