Many would have wondered if they can access computer files from Android phone or tablet, you would be glad to know that yes it is possible. You can easily access shared Windows folders from Android device over Wi-Fi. This way you can transfer any file that is present on your Windows PC and you want to transfer the same on your Android device. Generally, users will connect the device to the PC using USB cable which is very annoying sometime and takes lot of time. But, there are alternatives which will make this operation hassle-free. We can transfer files between computer and Android phone which are connected in same Local Area Network (LAN). Here we will be using same method to exchange files between computer and android devices. We will connect computer and Android device in same Wi-Fi network and enable LAN sharing to perform this task.
We have used ES File Explorer in this tutorial. It is a free and ad free file manager for Android which supports LAN file sharing. You can stream videos and audios from your computer to Android phones or tablets without buffering. Move any files between computer and Android device wirelessly. So without wasting nay time lets see how we can access computer files from Android phone and tablet.
- You will need a Wi-Fi router and the PC should be connected to this either through LAN/ Wi-Fi.
- Download and Install ES File Explorer on your Android device. (There are many such apps like: Solid Explorer, Astro File manager and FX File Explorer, but we are using ES File Explorer here.)
- A Windows PC that is running on 2000/XP/Vista/7/8 (we are using Windows 8 PC here.)
Steps to access computer files from Android device over Wi-Fi:
Share Windows folders
First we have to turn on folder sharing and select which folders we would like to access from Android.
Windows XP users:
If you have Windows XP PC then you will have to enable guest account by navigating to “Control Panel > User Accounts > Guest Account” then Click on “Turn on Guest account”. Now, share the drives or folder you want to access.
1. Right-click on the folder you want to share.
2. Then, Go to the sharing tab.
3. Then, click the on “If you understand the risk but still want to share the folder, click here” option.
4. Then, Under “Network Sharing and Security” tick on “Share this folder on the network” and also on “Allow network users to change my files”
5. Lastly, Click on “OK”.
Windows Vista/7/8 users:
1. Firstly, right-click on the folder that you want to share then go to “Properties”.
2. Now, you will have to go to the sharing tab.
3. Now, click on “Advanced Sharing”
4. In the next dialog box tick on “Share the folder”
5. Further, click on “Permissions” and tick on all the checkboxes under allow.
6. Lastly, click OK to all the dialog boxes.
Find the IP Address, make static IP and find system name. You can find computer’s IP address by using ipconfig command in command prompt.
Connect your computer and Android device to same Wi-Fi network, then follow the following steps-
1. Open ES File Explorer in your Android device.
2. On top right corner click on “Local” – select LAN.
3. Tap on “New”.
4. Here you can either Scan for your system or can click on Server.
5. If you have selected to add Server manually, then in the server field type the IP address (that is IPv4 Address) or the system name.
6. Next, type in the Username and Password of your choice by which you will access your Windows PC.
7. Then, Give a name under “Display as” for easy identification.
8. Tap on OK.
Now you will see a laptop with globe icon. Tap on it and you will see all your files/folder of the system there.
That’s all! This way you can connect your Android device to your Windows PC for sharing files and important data’s between them. Do let us know you worries, we will work hard in resolving the same.
Author Bio: This guest post is written by Satish Kumar who blogs at Tips4Tech.